Sunday, June 13, 2010

Saturday, June 12th - Victoria!




Greetings from Victoria, BC! We arrived en masse yesterday, Saturday the 12th, to find the Navy in town! Roll up the sidewalks and bring the women and children inside! Seriously, this was very cool. To help commemorate the 100th or 150th anniversary of the Canadian Navy (I don’t have a newspaper in front of me, so if I misname our host country’s naval forces, please forgive me!) Anyway, to help commemorate their major anniversary, 7 nations participated in the international naval fleet review. Ships arrived from Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Japan and I think France, and of course, the United States. The USS Ronald Reagan, 4700 crew aircraft carrier, was in port for the occasion. It made me proud to read in today’s paper that the US sailors were found to be extremely polite (the writer expressed some surprise at that!). Okay, I go on because my son is serving in the Navy, and seeing all these young sailors caused me to miss my boy! Yes, I am very proud of his hard work and service.

On to the chorale, today was our day off in Victoria and we were rewarded with sunny skies and warm temperatures. We checked in to the Victoria Regent and then split into groups that found various forms of fun, shopping, the bug museum, the wax museum, walking on the wharf, chancing upon an Irish pub that served the best halibut with asparagus and Yukon gold potatoes – we were all happy and tired at the end of the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment